Global Citizenship at Le Méridien Munich
Starwood Hotels has a legacy of caring for the communities in which we operate, so Global Citizenship comes naturally to us. Our work focuses on the environment and our communities and leverages our people, our brands, our relationships and our global reach because we are uniquely equipped to help our associates and guests create a better world to experience.
Policies & Reporting:
- The key element of our actions is the worldwide Starwood Global Citizenship Program.
- Implemented the legal environmental requirements.
- As primarily a hotel chain, Starwood Germany has signed the codex “fairpflichtet”, a sustainability code for the German Speaking Event Industry.
- We work closely with the „Carbon Disclosure Project“ (CDP) to measure, disclose, manage and share environmental information. The CO2 calculator offers a possible evaluation of the climate impact of an event.
The Starwood Program „30:20 by 20“ which started in 2008 sets the goal to reduce our energy consumption by 30% and our water consumption by 20 % until 2020. All Starwood hotels and resorts worldwide have committed to this program.
Our hotel has a sustainability consulting team, the Green Council, which explicitly deals with environmental initiatives at Le Méridien Munich, as well as providing information and sensitivization for our employees.
With our Sustainable Meeting Program we offer our guests as well as meeting planners the possibility to act, travel and meet sustainably:
- Paperless booking and meeting planning
- „Check out for Children“: When checking out one US-Dollar can be donated to our partner UNICEF. This donation is voluntary.
- „Make a Green Choice“ - choose to decline daily change of bed linen and get rewarded with 500 Starpoints®
- „Clutter Free Meetings“ - include streamlined stations that provide paper, pens, glasses, water and other thoughtful touches, keeping the main work area uncluttered and organized
- Adequate bins for waste separation
- „EAME Sustainable Fish and Seafood Guidance“: We only purchase fish and seafood from sustainable fisheries
- Food and Beverage purchases from local and regional producers and suppliers
- Possiblity of Determination of environmental impact of a meeting or event with „Meeting Impact Report“ (MIR)
Sustainability and environment protection
- Paper table sets instead of table linen in breakfast restaurant: save water, electricity and detergent due to less laundry.
- Minimize paper consumption and use of recycled paper.
- Waste separation in all areas, both in the front as well as in the back of the house.
- Energy-saving LED lighting in the hotel corridors and guest rooms
- Usage of long-distance heating.
Le Méridien Munich contributes to sustainability and environment protection with the following initiatives:
- „Check-out for Children“ in co-operation with UNICEF
- Activities for the common good:
- Associate trainings in different areas
- Security and health protection trainings for our associates
- Promotion of young associates as company that takes on trainee
- Road to Awareness – Since its launch in 2008, Starwood’s Road to Awareness associates fundraising campaign has raised over $1.5 million to support different UNICEF education projects in Europe, Africa and the Middle East.
- SARF (Starwood Associate Relief Fund) – The Starwood Associate Relief Fund has provided nearly US$ 2 million in grant funding since inception to support associates in need around the globe when disaster strikes.